June 6, 2009
Saturday of the Ninth Week in Ordinary Time
Reading 1
Tb 12:1, 5-15, 20
Tobit called his son Tobiah and said to him,"Son, see to it that you give what is due to the man who made the journey with you; give him a bonus too. "So he called Raphael and said, "Take as your wages half of all that you have brought back, and go in peace.". . . At the same time, however, God commissioned me to heal you and your daughter-in-law Sarah. I am Raphael, one of the seven angels who enter and serve before the Glory of the Lord."
Responsorial Psalm
Tobit 13:2, 6efgh, 7, 8
R. Blessed be God, who lives for ever. In the land of my exile I praise him and show his power and majesty to a sinful nation.
Gospel
Mk 12:38-44
He sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents. Calling his disciples to himself, he said to them, "Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury. For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth,but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood.
Reflection
In the first reading, Tobit said to his son, Tobiah, to give what is due to the man who walked with him. He asked his son to give also a bonus. Tobiah obeyed his Father and offered even half of what they brought home together. Tohiah was lavish in giving the other persons due. It was Raphael who received it. Later on only Raphael revealed that he was one of the angels serving before the God of glory.
In my daily life experiences a lot of people help me. Do I give back what is due to all those helpers. My arrogance, selfishness and belittling attitudes always find faults with others and I am stingy in what it comes to give to others their due. A lot of your angels walk with me Lord, but I rarely see their angelic qualities.
Like the widow who put all she had in the treasury, may I also be complete in my giving to God others and myself. In this land of exile I praise God, like the paslmist of the day, for all his marvellous deeds he does for me still.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment