Take a Bible Quiz

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Here I am, Send me

February 7, 2010 Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Reading I
Is 6:1-2a, 3-8
Then I said, “Woe is me, I am doomed!
For I am a man of unclean lips,
living among a people of unclean lips;
yet my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”
Then one of the seraphim flew to me,
holding an ember that he had taken with tongs from the altar.
He touched my mouth with it, and said,
“See, now that this has touched your lips,
your wickedness is removed, your sin purged.”
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
“Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?”
“Here I am,” I said; “send me!”

Responsorial Psalm
Ps 138:1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 7-8
In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
Your right hand saves me.
The LORD will complete what he has done for me;
your kindness, O LORD, endures forever;
forsake not the work of your hands.

Reading II
1 Cor 15:1-11
After that, Christ appeared to more
than five hundred brothers at once,
most of whom are still living,
though some have fallen asleep.
After that he appeared to James,
then to all the apostles.
Last of all, as to one born abnormally,
he appeared to me.
For I am the least of the apostles,
not fit to be called an apostle,
because I persecuted the church of God.
But by the grace of God I am what I am,
and his grace to me has not been ineffective.

Gospel
Lk 5:1-11
“Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.”
For astonishment at the catch of fish they had made seized him
and all those with him,
and likewise James and John, the sons of Zebedee,
who were partners of Simon.
Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid;
from now on you will be catching men.”
When they brought their boats to the shore,
they left everything and followed him.

Reflection
Three people other than Jesus are prominent in the readings today. Can you identify the people who are the main characters in the readings today?
Reading 1 - Isaiah the prophet of the Old Testament
Reading 2 - St Paul
Gospel - St Peter
The situations of all three are in some ways very different. Isaiah: for example was from the Old Testament times about 700 years before Christ. Peter's story from the Gospel reading happens at the time of Jesus and Paul's writing of today's second reading after the death and resurrection of Jesus. Even if they seem to be from different era, there seems to be some common elements in the stories of all three. What are they?
In the case of Isaiah: Yahweh asks, “Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?”
Isaiah said, “Here I am, send me!” God's call to be sent in God's name.
Peter: “Put out into deep water and lower your nets for a catch.”
Simon said in reply, “Master, we have worked hard all night and have caught nothing,
but at your command I will lower the nets.”
Jesus the son of God is preparing Peter to catch not only fish but win people for God. Again God's call to be sent in God's name.
Paul: He is also speaking within the same context, he says, at the end of the second reading, "so we preach and so you believed."
These are great personalities in the history of the Church. From the Old testament to the time of Jesus and until the time of Paul if this call is extended, I think today also this is relevant - Jesus' personal call to each one of us here is the context in which we listen to today's readings.
Mission was a prominent part of the Irish Church as well over the centuries meaning that we are all entrusted with a mission. Now that word has given way for 'Evangelisation' meaning 'Bringing the Good News'. Whatever is the word - our duty is the same bringing the Good News. And this year the Archdiocese of Dublin has announced that this year is the Year of Evangelisation. In that context also we may need to listen to an inner call to be sent in God's name.
Another common denominator between the three is: Their awareness about their sinfulness: Isaiah says: "For I am a man of unclean lips." Paul says, "For I am the least of the apostles, not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am."
Peter says, "“Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.” They were sinners and they knew that fact.
We also know that we are sinners. But the difference is - we ae afraid to say, "Here I am Lord." even with my sinfulness and frailties.

No comments:

Post a Comment